193. Glean Sweep

PDF / PUZ

Hello hello! While I am primarily a Broncos fan, remembering Mike Ditka today and his incredible Chicago legacy. In baseball news, let's see if the White Sox can do it today (I am not watching the NLCS, haha).

Midwest Gridfest was a lot of fun! So great to see so many faces in the crossword community!

---

Puzzle #192 answer: REFS

Correct entries: 73

Shortest explanation: Let's go to the second half of each 2-word themer: TOMB, BALD, MALTESE, PATRON. Each of these is the start of another common 2-word reference or phrase. So let's go to the 2nd half of those: TOMB RAIDER, BALD EAGLE, MALTESE FALCON, PATRON SAINT. The initial letters of those new words spell REFS, the answer to thfe meta. This can be a bit SAD once you see it - but it might be tough to see in the first place! Note FOOT BALL TEAM NAME around the grid. (And I was limited in the revealer - not too many football team names start with vowels, I've learned!!)

---

This was the meta passed out at the Midwest Crossword Tournament. Thinking Level 2.5 or so. Thanks to ajk for test-solving!

Good luck, and may all your solves be beautiful!

Mikey G

The 12-letter answer to the meta can be found in the Midwest.

 

Comments