97. Drab Bag

PDF / PUZ

Hello hello! At least Shota Imanaga is pitching today - he has been, by far, the Cubs' best storyline in a pretty tumultuous start to the season, putting it lightly. (Though, Jay, your Yankees are crushing it!)

I had pretty great feedback on Puzzle #96, for which I'm honored. Sometimes, you think you have a really cool idea - and the response is a mixed bag. This one was the inverse; I was like, "Yeah, this will be all right, I guess" - and people seemed to really enjoy it! 'Tis the puzzling life!

---

1. Puzzle #96 answer: WRIGLEY FIELD

Correct entries: 52, perhaps a handful or so aided by some Friday nudges!



Shortest explanation: There are only eight 3-letter entries in the grid, a bit low. Per the relevant themers and the spanner (SEATTLE, CHICAGO, TWO OUT OF THREE), arrange the 3-letter entries in such a way that two of the three letters in each spell out a state abbreviation, spanning a journey from Seattle, WA to Chicago, IL. (See Tamara's great graphic!). The extra letters spell out CUBS PARK, better known as WRIGLEY FIELD. It was called Cubs Park for a bit in the 1920s, unbeknownst to me until after I had made the puzzle! 

(A slight personal numeric tie-in: I visited Wrigley for the first time in 1996 - and they've never lost when I've attended! I think I need to go more, haha.)

---

2. This one looks like it's coming down right at about a Level 3 based on some testing feedback. Thanks to Kay and Rick for rising to the occasion at the last minute!

Good luck, and may all your solves be beautiful!

Mikey G

The answer to the meta is a 6-letter word.

 

Comments