62. Back in Time

PDF / PUZ


Hello hello! Hope we're all having a great July. I'm in my decluttering mode, but I'm definitely not throwing out all my books of logic problems that still await me! (They're the kind of puzzle I most reach for when not doing metas.)

Another puzzle is what the Cubs will do at the deadline. But, never fear, this meta has nothing to do with sports! I might have used up my maximum one allowed per summer last week, haha. Let's go to it!

---

1. Puzzle #61 answer: (ROGER) MARIS

Correct entries: 46 (Solid Week 2.5 or Week 3.)


Shortest explanation: There is only one J, U, D, G, and E in the grid (the only singletons). If we don't "judge" and eliminate those letters from the across entries, we get five new entries. Play "alternate clues" with those and get the initials of MARIS (the answer to the meta), the Yankee who famously hit 61 in '61, a record that would stand in the AL until...61 years later, fittingly enough, when Aaron Judge (the title tie-in) broke it with 62 in 2022.

---

2. Leaderboard:

---

3. This is Week 3 in July, which might pivot a bit above or below that. We'll see!

Keep on puzzling, and may all your solves be beautiful!

Mikey G

The common 10-letter answer to the meta is what you might say when you solve it.

Comments